Thursday, April 19, 2012

FIRST LOVE

My family moved to Buckeye in the summer of 1954 from Ajo. I was ten and ready for the excitement and adventure of a new place. Little did I know that one of the first, and most lasting experiences I would have, would be when I met that beautiful girl who lived down the alley.

Mary Ann Latham stole my heart. At least as much as a ten year old can have his heart stolen. She was so pretty. When she smiled at me it made my heart melt. I remember thinking she would be the only girl in my whole life that I would ever love.

She and her mom moved to Phoenix shortly after that. I wrote to her frequently but she never wrote back. My dad agreed to stopping by their new place and we found lots of mail piled up, including all my letters. I guess they had taken an extended trip.

I’m not sure what ever happened to Mary Ann. She never wrote back and I soon got over my “first love.” Life went on. I did find other loves, including my wonderful best friend and lifemate Jacquie.

If you’ve got a special person in your life, do a little something extra to let them know how much you value and cherish them. Put a love note under their pillow or write them a poem. Maybe they will “write back.”

No comments:

Post a Comment