Thursday, April 19, 2012

BURNING RUBBER

How many of you have been around Buckeye long enough to remember the root beer stand that was once where the Sheep Camp Cafe is now? Was it A&W or some other brand? When I was in high school at BUHS (1958-1962), the root beer stand was a great place for all the local teenagers to hang out. Before that, it was the Dairy Queen that Gene Ray operated. What great pinball machines he had!

This story is about my first “ticket.” I was there one evening with my girlfriend. After we finished our root beers (in the frosted mugs!), I backed out. Then, to show off how “big and powerful” my straight 6 ’53 Studebaker was, I “burned rubber” when leaving. See the photo below of a similar vehicle that I found on the web.

I hadn’t gotten a quarter of a mile away when I got pulled over by one of Buckeye’s “finest” who proceeded to write me a ticket for “Burning Rubber.” To this day, I don’t believe there was anything in the traffic code about burning rubber but I paid the ticket anyway.

What did I learn? That there are consequences to irrational and irresponsible behavior. We should think before we act. Stupid decisions can have results we didn’t anticipate.

No comments:

Post a Comment